Beginning fall 2020, restoration work will commence on Waverley Place to ensure this important historical site can be enjoyed by the community for decades to come.
Work will primarily focus on restoring the flat roof and front porch, with additional repairs being completed from the interior. The restoration work will not alter the layout or décor of the historic house; it will focus on structural improvements ensuring the integrity of the building is maintained.
Waverley Place was originally built in 1847 as a one-story, Regency style cottage. It was established by the town as a local history museum in 1961 in part thanks to a $50,000 donation from Mrs. L.B. (Sarah Jane) Williams. The name ‘Bowmanville Museum’ was chosen and the doors officially opened to the public as a museum on October 6, 1961.
Waverley Place was eventually restored as a period home, and now reflects the style of a wealthy merchant family from the early 1900’s, with a variety of room vignettes on display.
Photo Caption: From left to right: Alex Carruthers, M.P.P.; O.J. Presson, Chairman of the Museum Board; Mrs. L.B. (Sarah Jane) Williams; Percy Greenfield of the Museum Board; His Worship Mayor Wilfrid Carruthers of Bowmanville, and Dr. R. P. Vivian, M.P. The Canadian Statesman, 11 October 1961. View this newspaper through our Clarington Digital Newspaper Collection!